Jan 17, 2011

Idle Solutions To Loneliness and Boredom

Loneliness is a fact of life; whether you have 500 Facebook friends or 10 people 'Available' on the gtalk at any time in the day, you certainly do not feel 'accompanied'.  We no longer live in the era where the 'pados-waala/waali' will come over to your home, sit on your bed and talk about anything under the sun with you.  Moreover, with most residential areas getting denser, you do not have playgrounds near your house or even if you do have, who will stake their 'exam' or 'job' or any other boredom of life for jumping around in the dust and mud?


So what do you do?  Here are some ideas, most of which I have never tried. :P

DISCLAIMER: These ideas are for those who are not computer or gadget addicts, and don't want to be either.

  • Gardening: Take a clay pot (not difficult to find), break it midway, fill it with mud and clay and er..well, grow mushrooms, if nothing else!  I guess they are easy to grow! Once they grew by themselves on my old home's window sill. Just make sure they are the edible ones..before you try using them in your food! And also, beware, you may have a mushroom allergy!

  • Fashion Designing: We all have old clothes at home, don't we?  Just let your mind go crazy and cut clothes, paste them...well I mean stich, etc etc. You can try repairing an old dupatta or try attaching nice little bling items to its bare edge. If it is like stained or something, you can cut it in half and make a scarf. There is absolutely no end to what you can try.  Take care, never to get a second opinion, especially of your parents; they will either get so enthusiastic as to enroll you into a 'tailoring' class or come to a rather unfair judgement about your sanity...all the while keeping a half-smiling face...
           You can also try making ear-rings with nice buttons, which you can pull out of the dress your mom loves, but you hate, or out of your sibling's dress too, if you've got to settle some scores!  Just keep your hands off your mumma's stuff, you want the dinner tonight.

  • Hair Styling:  Once, when I was a child, I was so bored, I thought of shaping my 'eye-lashes'. I am not joking. I took the scissors, and went on. I tried on the left side I guess, keeping the right as it is. :P Thankfully they have grown back to normal!
       Now, I also had this very long hair, and this comb, and scissors.  So you understand right?  You can, yes jushht try that out. Over the years, I have actually become better at it.  A few days back, under the patronage of my adventurous Bua, I cut the front part of my hair, to make a fringe.  Well, I didn't take the lock of hair generously enough, so it is not really a 'fringe' but more like...let us say, a moustache, growing on the upper border of a forehead.  But believe me, it looks nice! Yes,... that's why I haven't updated my photo on Facebook....


  • Cooking:  If you don't like tasty food, you are either lying, or you like very tasty food. Well the point is, we all get imaginative while cooking, which is fun!  What if I put this in the mixture, what if I put that too! What if we use this oil, or that pepper.  It is absolute adventure.  Be careful no guests have decided to come over, what if they happen to find you in the kitchen! They will force you into feeding them whatever it is that you cooked.  You want them to give positive feedback to your 'to-be-in-laws'.  Remember, no one but you gets to taste your experiments. Very important!

  • Dancing:  Have you got radio? No, not the i-pod or the music player. In radio you have this uncertainty of which song might be coming next! And that's THE fun! So make sure all your windows are curtained well, and there are no vantage points for any maniac living around your house. And then, unleash the wildness in you. Jushht go mad and dance to the songs.
       Sincere advice: Don't bang your head much...I know, it is the easiest part of the body to move.  But when done too wildly and with strong jerks, it can leave you dizzy, and tired, not to mention the strange headache, which you wouldn't know, originates from your neck or ends there.


More of such things later on...at present I am plain boorred of blogging.

2 comments: