Dec 22, 2010

The Girl at the Jubilee Bus Stand

It was evening, and I was standing at the Jubilee Bus Stand, with the heavy college bag on my shoulders. I was tired from a long hectic day at the college, and was eager to board the bus.  I was wearing a green corduroy shirt and a black jeans.  She was standing just beside me, very sure of herself.  I noticed her, just as we notice people around the bus stops or train stations, observing neutrally their dress, their faces, and trying to get a peek into their lifes, with no intention of communicating.  She was wearing a pink salwar suit, and was quite shorter than me (I am 5' 2").  Her face was like a cute south Indian heroine, I can't really explain.  You know one when you see one.  She was certainly older than me...about 23 I guess.  And she had a travelling bag lying at her feet, it was black, and was packed quite generously.  She also had a hand bag hanging down her shoulder.  Her hair was long and hung braided. It was 6:15 p.m.

Zooommm, came bus 8 R.  Wooh! I sighed.  This would take me directly to Afjalgunj, meaning, I would not have to change another bus.  Usually it would take me anywhere from 3 to 4 buses, to travel one lap (College to home/home to college).  I instinctively and reflexively hustled and shouldered the crowd, as you begin to do, after years and years of bus boarding during rush hours in Hyderabad. I didn't notice that she was also climing behind...facing problem of course, with her bag...

I entered and immediately captured a comfortable space, spreading my legs apart to gain balance and sliding out my bus pass, to show to the conductor.  As I did, she asked the conductor: Kachiguda station?  It was only then that I understood....

She was new in the city, on her way to which ever state she belonged, and had boarded the bus just for the heck of it! May be because she didn't want to stand longer at the bus stand! It was winter time and was already dark.  Cool! I thought! That's called guts! You don't know which bus to board, you don't know where to go, you don't know if you should ask for help, and you seem so sure of yourself!  I smiled inside. Tapped her on the shoulder, she turned...

Ye bus Kacheguda nahi jata, that's quite on the other side of the town...
Then which bus?
You don't have a direct bus from Jubilee Bus Stand...why didn't you hire an auto?
Ok, I .. get down..?  Stoopp...bus, stopp! She shouted.
Wait, don't get down now, wait till the bus reaches Tank Bund. I will tell you when to get down.  From there you can go to Kacheguda.  It will be easier from there.
Thank you. She gave me an anxious smile.
When does the train leave? I asked smiling back.
7 o' clock  (I looked at my watch..she didn't look at hers)

 It was past 6:30 p.m. Does she know what time is it now?! Is her watch alright?

Tank Bund came, and I informed her.  She looked at me. I saw some kind of expectation in her eyes.  I felt wierd. She got down, and I helped with her bag.  The bus was stuck in traffic and couldn't move for another few minutes.  She stood down on the road, looking at me, I shouted...Catch an auto, quick!.  She nodded.
Just at that moment, I couldn't restrain myself.  I got down too.  It was adventurous! It was exhilarating.  It seemed like that action movie mission. An impossible deadline, a tough problem and a hero with lady in distress!

I could feel gratefulness in her eyes and relief in her breathing rhythm.  I took her bag, man, it was heavy!  I started hailing autos. Kuttey kahin key.  None was stopping. Hyderabad autowallahs are a breed - devoid of humanity, devoid of ears, devoid of eyes.

We started feeling we would miss the train.  It was 6:40.  My heart beat grew stronger.  I couldn't believe I was actually on it!  Kacheguda is far man! But if we just get an autowallah, a smart one at that, and if the train stops for say five minutes longer, we stand a chance!

Just then, an auto stopped. It was about to turn, when he saw our luggage and probably thought of making a quick buck. I felt--thank God! But shit! It was not empty. It had a lady passenger already. And she was cursing him...Rukey kyun? Hum paise diye na jee apko? Humareku late nahi hora kya? Aise anjaan logon ko nahyi bithatee main. 

I began pleading with her, and ultimately, ignoring her blabber, we stuffed the bag and ourselves, in the back seat.  Time to think!  First I felt victorious! Yayee! We got an auto, and it will take us to Kacheguda. Then I looked at my watch. I felt dead! What am I thinking! This guy will first drop this lady at her home, and then take us to Kacheguda! But when?  Wasn't it a bad judgement to have hired this auto?! But she was smiling!  Innocence and ignorance of the problem gives eternal strength! I smiled back, asking for assurance.  She assured me.  

It was 10 minutes to 7.  The lady passenger had got down.  She and I were alone, in the back seat now, her bag between us.

What's your name?
Silky. Yours?
She told her name and I forget what it was...but I do remember that it was a beautiful name.
What do you do?  I asked.
I am a prescriptionist. I write medical prescriptions, assisting the clinic doctors
Not very interesting I thought. Where are you going?
To Bangalore.  I stay there.
Why did you come here?
To meet my brother and sister-in-law.
Why didn't they come to drop you at the station?
They had come to pick me up, when I came here. I only told them I can go alone on my way back.
Coooool I thought. That's my entry into the scene.
Who told you to stand at Jubilee Bus Stand?
She laughed shyly. No body.
She was stranger than I had thought. I smiled and looked at my watch. The watch looked back at me and said: Look girl, I can't slow down the world for you, ACCEPT that, will you? 

The auto wallah was doing a good job. She and I were asking him every 3 seconds, aur kitna der... aur kitna der. And he was handling us, our questions, his auto, the traffic, and the fellow autowallahs very very well. Commendable multi-tasking. Just get us there baap!

It was SEVEN now, and a minute past that!

I asked her...which train?
She said some name. 
Does it start at Kacheguda?

It comes from somewhere north, she said, and stops at Kacheguda on the way. 

Good news. Wasn't it getting reallly easier with every passing minute...


We got there. My legs felt numb. I looked at the watch for the last time. It was 7:03.  I took her bag...in both hands...like a tray, and dragged myself as speedily as I could.  I needed to breathe properly....but no time!  She caught up with me, after paying the autowallah. And pleaded that she will take it from here, on her own. I ignored her.

I ran, ran and ran.  I was hallucinating. No time for platform ticket. 
Which platform???! She read some Telugu stuff on the red digital screen and shouted some number.
Platform no. # kahaan??? I asked some passers-by for direction.
Apparently we had to climb stairs....just the thing we needed! 

Midway on the stairs...my hands gave way. The bag dropped. No glasses inside I hope...
I used the moment to breathe a bit properly and then, picked it back up.  She held to one side of the bag, offering to help, we dragged it together and that slowed our climbing speed!  Great! And now we had to climb 'down' the stairs.  But ....wait....I felt calmness! We saw it....the train,  from atop the stairs!  It was there!  For a mini-second I stood motionless.  And then, there was no stopping us!

We heard the whistle. The train started moving....slowwwwly.  We were midway down the stairs. I threw the bag down faaarrrrr. No glasses after all I guess...she didn't bother the last time I dropped it. :P  We rushed behind the bag that fell with a looud thuddd. We reached the nearest train gate, dragged the bag. She would find her coach and all inside...I didn't bother.  I asked the train name from a man at the gate to confirm.  Yes, that was it!!

 I sighed!    I smiled.    I laughed like mad!    I put the bag on the train, she got on.    She sighed.   She smiled.    She laughed like mad!   She looked beautiful.   As the train moved, she stood at the gate and I jogged along, with my school bag feeling lighter than ever on my shoulders.  She drew out her hands, held my two cheeks, pressed them and ......and said verrrry loudly "I LOVE YOU SILKY".

Byehh! I said....

5 comments:

  1. that is something very beautiful, impressive and helpful.. People like u are very few. And love the way u narrated it. she sure was the lucky one. otherwise she would have miss the train.. Great Job God Bless u

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a sweet person to have read it. I am your fan. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was great and nicee and adventrous
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this story should, well must become a movie as the way u narrated....!!! really people like u r few..! m amazed... god bless u.. i hope u enjoyed a lot...

    ReplyDelete
  5. hm...may be some day... a tele-film may be :D...thanks Susheel

    ReplyDelete